Gangs only go unseen when law enforcement personnel, as well as educators and parents, fail to recognize signs of gang activity and an individual’s involvement. Breaking the cycle requires police, school and parental involvement.
TCA Definition of a Street Gang:
- Three or more individuals associated in and ongoing group or organization.
- The group has identifiable leaders.
- The group has a name or identifying symbol.
- The group shows unity by claiming control over specific territory, communicating through graffiti and hand signs, ect
- The organization’s members, individually or collectively, are engaged in violent or criminal activity.
- A gang is an organized group with a recognized leader whose activities are either criminal, or at the very least, threatening to your community.
Graffiti is a good way for law enforcement to identify potential gang activity. Graffiti may be in the shape of numbers, stars, crowns, swords, rabbit heads, crosses, swastikas and many other symbols. Gang members will paint their gang symbols or gang member names on the side of buildings, garbage cans, fences or on sidewalks. All Graffiti is vandalism and should be reported to the police department. Graffiti should then be painted over or removed.The Brighton Police Departments gang officers, Capt. Dodge and SRO Specht, are members of the Tennessee Gang Investigators Association (TNGIA) and attend regional gang meetingsThe Brighton Police Department has established contacts, throughout west Tennessee, that advise us on gang activity that may affect our community. If you have knowledge of activity you believe is gang related or wish to obtain more information on gangs contact Capt. Dodge or the Brighton Police Department, 901.475.6722. If you think your student may be involved or exposed to gang related issues contact Officer DJ Specht at Brighton High School.
For more information on gangs or gang related material, please visit Tipton-Gangs.org.
The gang website was created by Capt. Dodge and is currently maintained by the Munford Police Department.