All officers will receive and be required to successfully complete training in chemical weapons, taser, handcuffing techniques, report writing, DUI, EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operation and Control), and be sufficient in meeting the departments handgun/patrol rifle qualification. All other training TBA.
Competency Requirements - An applicant shall possess the following training
competencies which will be determined by the Brighton Police Department staff:
1. Possession of knowledge, skills, and abilities in all assigned areas.
2. Ability to organize materials in written form.
3. Presentation of knowledge and skills.
Requirements for Becoming a Police Officer:
1. Be at least eighteen (21) years of age.
2. Be a citizen of the United States.
3. Be a high school graduate or possess equivalence. No waivers will be granted for
minimum education requirement.
4. Not have been convicted of or pleaded guilty to or entered a plea of nolo contendo
to any felony charge or to any violation of any federal or state laws or city
ordinances relating to force, violence, theft, dishonesty, gambling, liquor or
5. Not have been released or discharged under any other than honorable discharge
from any of the armed forces of the United States.
6. Have fingerprints on file with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.
7. Have passed a physical examination by a licensed physician.
8. Have good moral character as determined by a thorough investigation conducted
by the employing agency.
9. Be free of all apparent mental disorders as described in the Diagnostic and
Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Third Edition (DSM-II) of the American
Psychiatric Association. Applicants must be certified as meeting these criteria
by a qualified professional in the psychiatric or psychological fields.
10. Not have been previously decertified as a law enforcement officer by the POST
11. Not have previously voluntarily surrendered their certification as a law enforcement
All applicants must complete the application and physically bring it to the police department during normal business hours.
The application will be reviewed by the Brighton Police Department staff. If a candidate meets the minimum requirements, they may be selected for an interview with several members of the command staff. The interview is designed to assess your personal accomplishments, job motivation, instrumentality, interpersonal skills, continuous learning orientation, and oral communication skills. (Only those candidates who pass the interview will be scheduled for further testing.) If you fail, you may reapply to the department at a later date.
The Physical Fitness Test (PFT) is designed to measure strength, agility, and endurance. Passing the PFT only indicates the minimum physical ability required to undertake training. You will be notified by mail and/or phone if you are selected to proceed to step 4.
The investigation will include checks of employment, police, education, and military records and possible interviews with family members, neighbors, supervisors, co-workers, and friends. The background investigation is conducted to confirm information obtained during the selection process.
The medical evaluation is thorough and it is essential that you be in excellent health with no conditions, which would restrict your ability to safely do police work. Written psychological tests will be administered at this time to express factors related to successful performance in the difficult and stressful job of a police officer.
Conditional offers of employment to the police department are the final steps in the selection process. To be considered for hiring, you must have successfully completed all steps in the selection process. When a candidate is selected it will depend on the next available class date, selection by BPD management, and accordance with provisions of the Town of Brighton Police Department.
Any application that is incomplete, inaccurate, or contains omissions will be cause for termination of the application. In addition, any information contained in the application that indicates the applicant does not meet the minimum standards will be cause for termination of the application. Omission of prior employment may be considered falsification of information.
I understand that if employed by the Brighton Police Department, that employment would be dependent upon a clean background check, fingerprint check, psychological and drug test and I could be terminated at any time after employment if clearance is not granted.
Brighton Police Department Employment Application